Scholarships are financial aid provided to a student on the basis of academic merit or specific criteria set by the university and/or the donors. The criteria usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award. Scholarship money is not required to be repaid.
Applicants must be current Cal Maritime students returning for the Fall 2016 semester. Applications must be submitted annually in order to receive a scholarship. Funding is not guaranteed from one term to the next. Academic GPA standing must be maintained in order to qualify for second semester payments as well as eligibility for awards in following years. Failure to maintain required academic standing for any semester, submission of an application, or compliance with scholarship criteria will result in the loss of an award.
THE APPLICATION WEB SITE FOR RETURNING STUDENT FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS is now available through 2/15/16. Applications submitted during this period will be for scholarships that are awarded in the 2016-17 academic year.
Scholarships for New Students Entering Fall 2016
Western Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship (WUE)
The Western Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship (WUE) program is designed to permit students from participating states to attend Cal maritime at reduced tuition rates.
Captain David Lyman Scholarship for Hawaii Residents
The Captain David Lyman Scholarship seeks to honor the memory of Captain David Lyman as a longtime member of Hawaii's maritime community by providing financial incentive for Hawaii students to apply to and enroll at the California Maritime Academy and pursue a profession in the maritime field..
Osher Foundation Scholarship for Upper-Division California Community College Transfer Students
The Bernard Osher Foundation, headquartered in San Francisco, was founded in 1977 by Bernard Osher, a respected businessman and community leader. The Foundation seeks to improve quality of life through support for higher education and the arts. The Foundation provides post-secondary scholarship funding to colleges and universities across the nation. The Osher Foundation Term Endowment was established to provide scholarships of $5,000 or less to community college transfer students.
Student Secured Scholarships
Student secured scholarships are those students bring with them to Cal Maritime. Generally, these scholarships are given to students with special qualifications, such as academic, athletic or artistic talent. Awards are also available for students who are interested in particular fields of study, who are members of underrepresented groups, who live in certain areas of the country, or who demonstrate financial need.
Students can search for and apply for scholarships throughout the year. There are several free scholarship search engines you can use to search for scholarships. You can find some of these scholarship search engines and organizations below.
Links to Off-Campus Scholarship Opportunities
|Addiction Resource||GreenPal Scholarship||Ski Butlers Scholarship Fund|
|Delayed Education Scholarship for Women||Lexington Law Scholarship||Women in STEM|
|Remote DBA Scholarship|
Student Secured Scholarship Provider Information:
- Make checks payable to Cal Maritime
- Identify the student's name in the memo section of the check.
- Provide contact information and any special instruction in a letter to accompany the check.
- Scholarships without special instructions are divided equally between semesters.
- Mail scholarship checks to:
Cal Maritime Financial Aid Office
200 Maritime Academy Dr.
Vallejo, CA 94590
6. Preferred scholarship check schedule
August for the Fall semester or academic year
December for the Spring semester
March for the Summer semester
When Cal Maritime receives a check:
- The Financial Aid Office will enter the scholarship amount in the student's financial aid award.If the funds are received prior to the start of the semester, it is considered "pending aid" and will defer the tuition payment until the first disbursement of the semester.
- Cal Maritime will verify the student meets enrollment or other criteria specified prior to disbursing the scholarship check.
- After university charges are paid, any remaining funds will be disbursed to the student.
Students who have been awarded a student secured scholarship:
- You are required to notify the Cal Maritime Financial Aid Office with a copy of your scholarship award.
- The organization that awards you the scholarship will generally mail the check to Cal Maritime. If mailed to you directly, bring it to the Financial Aid Office for processing.
- The Financial Aid Office will coordinate your scholarship award with your financial aid award package.