Faculty development funds are available to support faculty in their research, scholarly and creative activities, and professional development. There are various funds available and more than one type of fund can be applied for at the same time. Descriptions of Professional and Faculty Development Funds. In brief, the types of faculty development funds are:
- Chancellor's Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Fund for 2012-2013 has been suspended to due budgetary reasons.
- Provost's Presentation Support Fund, max of $500/presentation, to support faculty giving presentations at conferences and workshops. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds - During the spring semester faculty can apply for Academy-Wide Faculty Development Funds by submitting an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- James F. Drahos Memorial Fund - approximately $1,500/year is available for maritime related professional development. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- San Francisco Port of Engineers Fund - $3,000 for 2012-2013 is available for engineering faculty (ET, MAROPS, ME) to further their professional development. Submit an Application for Faculty Development Funds to the Chair of the Faculty Development Committee.
- Department Faculty Development Funds - During the fall semester, faculty, including the librarian/faculty and coaching faculty, can apply for Department Faculty Development Funds through their respective departments. Faculty should submit their application to their Department Chair, or Dean of the Library, in the case of the librarians, or Athletic Director, in the case of coaching faculty.
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grants - $25,000 for 2012-2013 is available for faculty who engage in the scholarship of teaching and learning. Fund is designated for those interested in performing classroom assessment or other assessment techniques and document improvements in teaching resulting in measurable increase in student learning outcomes. The research results must be publishable material suitable for professional journals and conference presentations and also will inform campus bodies such as the Institution-wide Assessment Committee. Application deadline: Monday, October 8, 2012 to Director of Faculty Affairs.
- President's Mission Achievement Grants, max of $3,500/grant, Submit an application in the proper format to the Academic Dean; Application deadlines for spring and summer awards is November 1st and March 1st for the following fall semester awards.
Forms and Information
- Flow Chart for Faculty Development Applications
- Travel Authorization Form - to be filled out and submitted for signatures before traveling
- Travel Claim Form - for reimbursement for travel expenses, lodging, meal, and incidental costs.
- Faculty Development Account Codes - account codes to use on the Travel Claim Form
- Faculty Development Assessment Form - to be filled out after completing a Faculty Development sponsored activity
- Travel expenses must be preapproved. To do so, fill out and submit a Travel Authorization form before traveling.
- You must use Enterprise Rent-a-Car when renting a vehicle for State travel, if possible.