The purpose of the Co-Op Program is to integrate classroom studies with academic related work experience. All non-licensed cadets must participate in a Co-Op as required by their major and are designed for students who have completed two or three years of coursework. Each Co-Op provides a great opportunity to develop the skills leaned in the classroom, culminating in a relationship with a company that could lead to a job offer upon graduation.
Students participating in the Co-operative Education Program include the following majors:
- International Business and Logistics (IBL)
- Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA)
- Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Facilities Engineering Technology (FET)
Students are required to register for the course and then attend a workshop that outlines expectations and desired outcomes. Typically, Co-Ops are available between May-August. At the end of the Co-Op, students must complete a written paper on their experience and must receive an evaluation from their Supervisor. Career Services will assist in securing Co-Op opportunities related to each student's area of interest.
To date students have successfully completed internships with local, state, and national agencies, including, but not limited to the following:
- Aero Union
- Alaris Companies
- Alcatraz Cruises
- America Presidents Lines Ltd.
- Arcturus Marine Systems
- BAE Systems
- Bay City Boiler & Engineering
- Bayview Engineering & Construction
- California Highway Patrol
- California State Department of Agriculture
- California State DGS/BPM Central Plant
- California State Lands Commission
- California State Senator Leland Yee's Office
- Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Constellation Energy Group
- Crockett Cogeneration, L.P.
- Dana Warf Sport Fishing
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Equity Office
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Foss Maritime
- General Dynamics NASSCO
- Guttmann & Blaevoet
- Hornblower Cruises & Events
- Intel Corporation
- Landstar Logistics
- Northrop Grumman
- Panetta Institute
- Pensionalysis, Inc.
- Peruvian Embassy
- Ports America
- Ports of Benicia, Stockton, Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Hueneme
- Public Health Corp. I H S Branch
- Red Cross
- Siemens Transportation Systems
- Transportation Partnership and Cooperation
- UCSF Facilities Department
- United States Coast Guard
- US Secret Service
- USS-POSCO Industries
- United State Navy
- Various Police Departments
- Various Congressional Representatives
- Western Allied Mechanical Inc.
For for information about Co-Ops come into Career Services or contact us at 707-654-1071.