ELM (Math) Test Exemptions
Math Placement Test (ELM)
Local students who want to take their ELM test on the Cal Maritime campus in Vallejo, CA should click here to register
Who Should Take the Test
All entering undergraduates must take the ELM examination before enrolling in a course that satisfies the college-level mathematics requirement of the General Education-Breadth program unless you meet one of the exemptions below.
You are exempt from the ELM Test and the Early Start Program for Math if you can present proof of one of the following:
- Placement in the "Ready for College" category on the Early Assessment Program (EAP) Mathematics taken in conjunction with the 11th grade California Standards Test in High School Mathematics or Algebra II
- Placement in the "Ready for College - Conditional" category on the Early Assessment Program (EAP) Mathematics taken in conjunction with the 11th grade California Standards Test in High School Mathematics or Algebra II PLUS successful completion of a CSU-approved Math or appropriate Math-related course or activity taken before you enroll at a CSU campus
- A score of 550 or above on the Mathematics portion of either the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A score of 23 or above on the ACT Mathematics Test
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Mathematics examination (Calculus AB or BC)
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Statistics examination
- Completion and transfer to the CSU of a college course that satisfies the requirement in Quantitative Reasoning provided such a course was completed with a grade of C or better
The EPT is optional (but California residents must still participate in the Early Start Program) if you have:
- A Score of 490-540 on Mathematics portion of the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A Score of 20-22 on the ACT Mathematics Test
- Placement in the "Conditionally Ready for College" category on the Early Assessment Program (EAP) Mathematics
Where will the tests be given?
- You can take the EPT/ELM at any of the CSU Campuses.
- If you wish to test at another CSU campus, please follow the procedures stated in the registration bulletin on the Web at www.ets.org/csu/index.html.
- If you live outside the state of California, been accepted to a CSU campus, and need to test in your state, e-mail email@example.com or phone (925)808-2142. Out of state testing is arranged for the 2nd week of the month. There is a fee of $50 for testing outside of California.
- Register for any ELM/EPT testing date at any CSU Campus site by clicking here
- If you have a disability and require special arrangements for taking the tests, be sure to contact the campus Test Office or Disabled Student Services before the published registration deadline. The EPT and ELM are available in Braille, large-print, and cassette editions.
- If your religious convictions prevent you from taking the EPT and/or ELM on the scheduled test dates, you must request special arrangements by including a letter on official letterhead from an appropriate religious authority with your registration form.
Questions or Concerns or More Information
- Call CSU Maritime Academy's Testing Office (707) 654-1330 with general questions or concerns.
- For questions about EPT/ELM policies and procedures that the testing office cannot handle, you can contact ETS at (925)808-2142 or visit ELM/EPT on-line at www.ets.org.