IT Help Desk
The IT Support Desk at Cal Maritime is open to all students, faculty and staff. It provides assistance with all University-owned computer and software. It also assists with network-related issues and the use of computer-related technology.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (707) 654-1048
- Online: http://cma-spiceworks/portal (this link only works when you are on campus)
Both the Data Center and the Help Desk are located in the Classroom Building across from Classroom 103. See this map.
The following Help Desk support schedule applies during the Fall 2010 and 2011 Spring semesters.
- Monday-Thursday: IT provides support between 8:00 AM and 5:30 PM. From 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM, however, the Help Desk doors are open and IT staff are available to assist walk-ins. The Help Desk is located in the Classroom Building across from room 103.
- Friday: IT Support hours between 9-5.30 PM. No walk-in support is available.
- Non-business hours: Emergency IT support is available during non-business hours. To request IT support during these times, contact IT Helpdesk for EMERGENCIES ONLY at x1048 (dial 707-654-1048 from off-campus). What constitutes an IT-related emergency? An IT emergency consists of a complete, campus-wide outage of IT systems and services, including (but not limited to):
- Complete outage of ALL email
- Complete outage of file server access (e.g. Z drive and other shared drives)
- Complete outage of Moodle (e.g., people cannot logon to Moodle)
- Complete outage of Web portal site access
How to Report a Problem
There are now two ways to submit a request to the Help Desk's new portal.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your request will automatically be entered into the Help Desk tracking system and you will receive confirmation via email. Students must currenlty use this method instead of logging into the Help Desk portal (below) because of domain issues.
- Logon to the Help Desk portal at http://cma-spiceworks/portal (you must be on campus). Faculty and staff can use a Web browser to log incidents and check the status of their requests via the Web. When using a computer on campus, simply click on the link below to request assistance or track progress on your request(s). A conformation message containing an incident tracking number will be automatically generated and sent to you confirming receipt of your request. Keep this tracking number as you may need to refer to it when corresponding with the Help Desk.
Regardless of which of these two methods you use, a ticket is created in the Help Desk tracking system. Cal Maritime began using Spiceworks as its Help Desk portal on 11/5/09. Spiceworks is an open source product that is used by more than 750,000 IT professionals worldwide.
For information on how to report IT emergencies during non-business hours, see the section above entitled "Support Schedule."
IT Services Contact Information
|Academic Computing Supportemail@example.com|
- Moodle Support: 707-765-1046, firstname.lastname@example.org
- TurnItIn Support: 707-654-1046, email@example.com
- PeopleSoft Tickets: 707-654-1721, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Publishing: 707-654-1724
- R25 Event Calendar: email@example.com
Limited Support for Macintosh Computers
The Help Desk provides limited support for Macintosh computers. It is recommended that faculty and staff already be familiar with Apple's operating system and products before acquiring one for use on campus. Key individuals on the IT staff have been designated to provide assistance where possible.
Audiovisual Equipment in Classrooms and Labs