Web Content Display Web Content Display

Federal Work-Study

Thank you for your interest in Federal Work-Study! Below you will find some frequently asked questions that will be useful in understanding the program.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is designed to provide part-time employment to students who have established financial need according to federal guidelines. The primary goal of the Federal Work-Study program is to provide students with the opportunity to gain work experience and offset some of their educational costs.
Federal Work-Study is a benefit to the student and the employer.  Students working under the FWS program have their wages subsidized by the federal government. At Cal Maritime, the federal government pays 50% of the wages and the hiring department pays the remaining 50%.  
Any student who wants to be considered for FWS must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate an interest in work-study on the application.
The Financial Aid Office determines your need and eligibility for FWS. The maximum award for 2019-2020 is $2,000. If you have not been offered a Federal Work-Study award as part of your financial aid awards, you cannot work a Federal Work-Study job.
Earnings from Federal Work-Study jobs are not included as income when completing the FAFSA for the following academic year.  Earnings from non work-study jobs included as income on the FAFSA.  
Federal Work-Study jobs are posted online on the Student Employment website. Click HERE to view current job postings.
You must complete all the required paperwork through Human Resources.
You are responsible for monitoring your Federal Work-Study earnings. You cannot earn more than what you were awarded.  If you exceed your FWS award, you will need to ask your employer to change you to a non-Federal Work-Study position or you could be terminated, based on the department's budget.
You are a student first, so be sure to negotiate a schedule that works with your school schedule. If you are sick or cannot come to work, be sure to let your supervisor know.
You must STOP working if any of the following apply to you:
  • You are enrolled less than half time (under six units);
  • You have withdrawn or taking a LOA from Cal Maritime;
  • You are not meeting financial aid SAP or you are academically disqualified; OR
  • Your earnings equal or exceed the amount of your FWS award
Federal Work-Study funds are based on the hours worked and hourly pay. It will never flow through your Cal Maritime statement of account; instead you will receive a monthly paycheck. You can then use those funds to help buy items to help with the costs associated with attending the university.
Students are paid monthly. You will receive your paycheck by direct deposit (recommended) or a check mailed to your current mailing address.
Yes, Federal Work-Study earnings are taxable. Besides Social Security and other applicable taxes, the amount deducted from your paycheck depends largely on how you fill out your W-4 form, related to to withholding tax. Be sure to read the W-4 form instructions carefully.   

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Contact Information

Financial Aid Office
Student Services Building
(707) 654-1287
(707) 654-1007 FAX

Monday-Friday (8 AM-4:30PM)

Campus Resources

Office of Admission
Student Services Building
(707) 654-1330

Office of the Registrar
Student Services Building
(707) 654-1201

University Advisors
Laboratory Building 111
(707) 654-1794

Laboratory Building 112
(707) 654-1785

Housing & Residential Life
Upper Residence Hall
(707) 654-1400

Food Security
Mayo Hall

Cashier's Office
Administration Building
(707) 654-1031

Student Employment
Administration Building
(707) 654-1137

Scroll Up
Staging Enabled
Last updated: 8/27/20